Thursday, January 21, 2010

What is up with that?

Crow shits: translated = pay day. That I do not get. What does crow poop and payment have in common? I've heard it a few times and the first time I had no clue what it meant. But people just go with it, I don't get the analogy, or is it even an analogy. I simply don't know.



















That's like the saying "I gotta piss like a racehorse". I've asked my friends what it means, and some have said that the trainer prevents the horse from urinating until after the race, which makes no sense to me. If you had to pee real bad would you want to run the 100 meter? Not to mention the extra weight.
I've even got the response that race horses pee a lot after a race hense the saying - but why? wouldn't they be slightly dehydrated from the exercise and unable to pee?
Then someone said that horses pee really fast. But who has timed a horse for the time it takes to pee and compare that with the volume of pee to come up with a number that far exceeds some other animal? But then to come up with that it means other animals have been tested for speed peeing. So I guess the speed at which a horse urinates is so impressive it beats every other animal - hands down. But not only did the horse win but it won to such a degree that people started saying, "man I gotta piss like a racehorse".
My theory is that race horses are fast and people have taken that attribute of the horse and united it with having to pee and usually when you have to pee bad it comes out fast. But then I was thinking, horses are relatively fast, but jet planes are faster, so are sports cars and superbikes. This lead me to believe that the saying actually predated jet turbine technology and that of internal combustion engines.
Well why didn't they use the saying "I have to pee like a bullet" because bullets are retarded fast, but maybe the saying even predated that. I'm not going to get into arrows and slingshots and medieval shit, suffice it to say I think I'm wrong too.Please advise
















Worn to a tread bear? Worn to a thread bare? My Mom says this when she's exhausted or everyday when we were kids. As a child I used to think of a Bear skin rug or Bear fur rug - which would be more practical. I imagined a rug which had been walked over, one which lays on the floor and that my Mother assimilated with this rug to the affect that she felt used or that we had worn her down or exhausted her.
Later I thought of a piece of clothing, blanket or some fabric that has been used or worn. Worn so long that it has no longer maintained it's weave and the underlaying threads were easily seen. Maybe it's even a tire tread and the same goes for that. Last year I asked Mom what she was referring to when she used the phrase but she, like most never really thought about it and just called it a "figure of speech".












Smart vs.Smurt. When I lived in Pickering Ontario our grade 7 teacher asked us to write a story, and in it I used the term "smurt" as I spelled it - according to the way it was pronounced. When she corrected it she edited it and it was spelled "smart". I promptly went to her desk and asked her about the correction saying that in Newfoundland we use a word to describe a particular pain, that word being "smurt". She told me that it was actually spelled S M A R T and pronounced as such, suggesting that due to the dialects in Newfoundland it was somehow corrupted. I refuse to say something smarts, because I feel like an idiot saying it. I still resolve to saying S M U R T. It just sounds appropriate.