Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Light one up luh!

Years ago I got a ride home from town to Bay Roberts with my Mother's cousin and her husband. Both of them enjoy a coffee, and like many people a good hearty smoke don't go astray wit a cup a Tims! And boy did they like smoking. The 2 of em must have polished off 5 each on the way home. Lucky for me it was only an hour drive and not longer, otherwise I may have jumped out of the fuckin car.

I remember walking up to the car and opening the door to a stale smoke smell. I said hello and politely sat back and put on my seatbelt. A seatbelt which had a distinct smell, one I assume that had developed after witnessing the death of many "rollies". I didn't want the seatbelt touching my skin so all the way out I was adjusting my coat so that it cushioned me against this gross fabric restraint system. A restraint which prevents me from getting launched out the front window - which is what would have been better than what I endured on the way out.

The first cigarette was smoked as soon as we left the parking lot of the Arts and Administration Building, a full 10 seconds after me getting into the car. They took turns smoking it seemed, as in one would smoke and then the other would light one up apres the other is done. Reading that, it would make sense to assume that they only had one smoke going at one time in order to keep smoke out of the car via the widow. But this wasn't the case as they didn't roll down the window at all. They did in essense "hot box" the car with cigarette smoke.

These 2 individuals are known for having the heat up pretty high in their home, when you go in there it's like walking into a cabin where the wood stove has been stogged full all night. Their car is no exception. The heat is up on "buss" in the car which forces me to take off my coat which has been a barrier between me and the smoke infused seatbelt. This bothers me.

The feeling of overwhelming heat is very frustrating, but even more frustrating is the omnipresent smoke which has no way out of the car. One would think the owners of the car would be aware of the stench of the car due to smoking and may want to avoid it, but this too is not the case. They are infact smoking all the way out the bay with out a 3 minute break. Her then him, her then him her then him. It was like a pacifier to them, as though the car could not run unless there was a cigarette going at the same time.

Why? I think to myself are they not opening the window while smoking. This is disgusting. This smell alone chokes me, it chokes me because it's so dry but as well because as soon as it hits my throat I nearly swallow as a reflex as the smoke is so thick. I don't even want to breathe, I started holding my breath thinking it wouldn't be so bad, this wasn't the best idea because I'd get a headrush as soon as I inhaled this caustic mix. Part of me wished I would pass out and maybe they wouldn't realize until I was in my driveway.

By now I'm nearly nauseous as the dry super heated smoke circling the inside of the car entering my lungs starts to sting as all moisture which was in my nose and throat has now been exhausted. I can only assume that for the 2 in the front must have increased mucous production thickened by years of living in a dry hot house and smoking tens of thousands of cigarettes over the years. I am not so fortunate and wish I could eat the snow clumped along the shoulder of the Trans Canada Highway.

At first I was breathing through my nose figuring it would be best. Thinking I was filtering some of the smoke and the particles in the air and perhaps slightly moisturizing the air going into my lungs. I decided against it when the smell started to give me a headache. I was fit to be tied. Tied up and beat to death.

Hot smoke searing it's way into my lungs, a sensation of taste in my lungs which would remain for hours after my ordeal. A dry winter morning, a little after 9 am, stuck in a viciously hot car which alone stinks of stale smoke. This hot air tainted with a heavy gross enrapturing smoke that permeates my skin and hair and all the clothes I have on. When I finally arrive home and thank them for this delightful ride home I make love to the fresh air. Only now when I inhale through my nose there is a stale remnant left behind. Smoke has now entered my pores and has attached itself to my inner nostrils so that every breath is now mixed with a constant reminder of why I should not smoke.