Friday, January 8, 2010

Did you lose your hands?

I walked into a room today just as this guy was getting ready to leave. As he is getting ready to go I notice he's doing something with his phone. He's talking but from his tone I can tell he isn't talking to another human. He is actually talking to his phone and he is giving it instructions. He says "call" followed by "home". Now what's obvious is that he's using voice command to get the phone to dial a number for him. As he exits the room he says "home" once again, repeated by "home" only seconds later. I listen as he walks through the building on his way out and again I hear him say "home".

Now 2 things have possibly happened here. Either he has forgotten his own home phone number or he's just too lazy to dial the friggin number.

Is this person really that dependant upon technology that he has found it unnecessary to train his phone number to memory? Because I gotta say this guy looked kinda stupid talking to his phone, I mean jesus it was right on his hand. It's not as though he had fallen and couldn't get up.

I know most people now take their phones with them wherever they go. A lot of people have over 100 numbers programed into their phones. I admit, I don't know the phone number to either of my brothers, but I sure as hell don't need to tell the phone to dial for me!