Friday, January 1, 2010

I had to pick up my youngest Brother at the Airport for Christmas so I left the house at 2AM in the morning. My dog was home this Christmas, which has not been the case this past 3 years. So I took her along for the ride. I usually take Chippy (my dog) wherever I go - because we are in love. I want her to experience all the smells and terrain Newfoundland has to offer, so she's usually with me. She was also along for the ride because there was no one home to take care of her.

I would be in town for 2 days, all of which my shedding, soft furred, precious dog would keep me company. I love my dog so much.

My old roommate Terry used to make fun of me because when I called home from Alberta I used to ask to speak to her over the phone. This was accompanied by my mother's play by play of what the dog was doing. I imagined her looking into the phone and turning her head to the side as all dogs tend to do. This is always cute. But my dog didn't really give a fuck that there was noise coming out of the phone

We get in the car after she does her thing before the 1 hour journey into St. John's. Chippy loves going for rides in the car and tonight was no exception. She sat excitingly, watching through the window all the way. I looked back at her many times as she looked back at me in a posture that said "what the fuck do you keep looking at me for?", she must of thought I was retarded. I just love her.

We get to l'aeroport and of course I take her out for her business. She's deaf now, so for all she knows this could be the destination, but she sniffs around in anticipation. She leads me around looking for a good place to defile the parking lot. I'm happy to see that no one is around to watch her. I usually laugh my ass off when I take her for a deuce, because people are very aware of what's going on. But hey all dogs do it!

Anyways I go get my brother and walk back to the car. He opens the back door to utter excitement as he sees chippy for the 1st time in 14 months. We are both very happy to have Chippy with us.

I take us all back to mine and Stephs place where Chippy and I will stay for a couple days. This is her 2nd time at my place and I purposely open the door to my room so that she can smell it and acknowledge that I live here hopefully making her comfortable. I also do this because Chippy has a penchant for pooping in other people's places.

I tell Peter (Brother) to keep an eye on Chippy as I put away mine and Peter's stuff. I continue my way to the kitchen where I see my dog squatting down in a fashion that suggests something sinister is about to happen. I promptly run toward my deaf dog who is obviously getting ready to let every other dog in this house know that this is her territory. She senses me coming and briskly walks whilst still in a crouch toward the end of island in the kitchen. By the time I get near her I see the treat she has left on the floor. I continue after her to get her to stop, but by the time I reach her she has made her second deposit. She goes around the island as her attempt to ward off other dogs is now hanging freely from her bum. I now look in horror as I am powerless and watch these "deposits" actually roll along the floor as I chase after her. She must have tried her best under that stress, and was very successful by the tune of 6 when she was finished.

If she wasn't deaf I could have told her she was the only dog living there and she didn't have to mark her territory.

She could have at least peed.

And silly me I thought she was done pooing when we were at the l'aeroport.