Friday, April 16, 2010

That Can't Be Nice

I had a few hours to kill before I had to pick up my glasses at the optometrist, so I decided to navigate the Grande Prairie Mall. I checked out a few stores, not really looking to buy, more so to peruse – as Joe says. I went into the jewellery store where back in 2006 I had purchased a watch. I went there to see if they had the same model of watch I was currently wearing. You see I got this watch from Amazon.com, in fact I bought 2 of the same watch, I do that when I like something – maybe I should get another Steph to go with the one I already have. The point was, I was wondering what it retails at, but they didn’t have that particular model. I did however join in to help finish the song “farmer in the dell”, which the sales lady was singing. She enjoyed my accompaniment as didthe other women in the store. We all shared a laugh, such is my usual playful behaviour when out in public – often to the consternation of those shyer individuals who may be with me. Comments like “Yeah he’s always like that”, “he’s special” or “and I have to live with him” or “there’s something wrong with him”, are often spoken by my company at the time. Comments which I feel should not be said at such auspicious occurrences, because my sunny disposition should be celebrated not berated, even if in a jovial way.

From there I continued on to different stores which sparked my interest, looking for something cool or to engage people with my exclusive brand of conversation. After some rather uneventful visits I decided to get some food.

I opted for some stir fry, sour chicken and veggie noodles, infact. But then A&W onion rings started calling me, so I had to fire that up too. So I sat down and started to enjoy my meal.
During my feed I took notice of the people in the seat in front of me - a younger woman perhaps in her early 20’s, a child in a shopping cart and an older woman, who I assumed was the mother and grandmother respectively. The younger woman was about 5’6” and weighted a great deal more than her “ideal” weight. She probably weighed in the high 200 pound scale, large enough so that when she sat down her jeans receded down over her backside making her look like a prospective plumber.



Her shirt and coat also rode up her back to the point that there was an exposed gap of naked skin roughly 12 inches from the bottom of her shirt to the top of her jeans. When she sat back onto the chair her fat would push through the rungs of metal on the chair.


I mean this is something we’ve all seen before, right? It’s a common scene in many a public place, nothing out of the ordinary. But I watched as this woman got up and sat back down several times and in the same fashion each time. Every time she sat back her fat would press through the cold metal rungs and never did she correct her jeans or her shirt and coat from baring her white naked skin. I’ve never this happen to me but I’m sure it can’t be pleasant. I even reached behind me at one point touching the metal rungs of the chair to see how cold they were. It was quite cold, uncomfortably cold in fact. Certainly not something you’d want your bare skin to be pressed against.