Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A wolf in sheep's clothing

There was a time when I was into the whole brand name thing.

My Cousin Tanya had all the brand name clothing: Roots, Esprit, Beaver Canoe, AuCoton, United Colours of Benneton, Northern Reflections, Club Monaco all that jazz. I kinda got into it, because I looked up to her and thought she was cool. Plus all her cute friends wore that stuff too. They were kinda cool in Gander back then.

My classmates (notice how I didn't say friends?) also started wearing brand names. I didn't have a stitch of Brand name stuff. I was still wearing excalibur sneakerboots for Christ's sake and fuckin Bi-way brand shit. I wanted the Far West jackets the Vuarnet and Chip'n'Pepper shirts the OP shorts/trunks, I wanted it all.

Whenever my Parents travelled I would always make sure they brought back something brand name, even the fucking bag from the store would do. I seen Tanya do it!

One year when I was in grade 4 my Mom bought me 2 Northern Reflections sweaters. As I remember it was the first of my "Brand Name" clothing and I wore it proudly. I even have pictures home with me wearing one - over a turtleneck no less - which was very much in style at the time.

Now I couldn't really be bothered with the whole brand name shit. I go for style and comfort now. Cashmere and nothing less than merino, maybe the odd lambswool when it comes to sweaters - not that I have trouble sweating.

I do favour Gap. They have quality clothing and Nan concurrs. I don't buy the stuff with "GAP" written on it, I'm not like that anymore, I've grown conservative in my years.

I did have a girlfriend once who couldn't understand the point in buying GAP clothing if it didn't have GAP advertised on it somewhere. I guess she hadn't advanced to my point in her retail efforts. That was Christmas 2001, when she made the comment and before the year was through she had gone and bought a baby blue fleece GAP hoodie - which was all the rave at the time. I was just happy she bought something from one of my favourite clothing stores. I felt a sense of accomplishment, although it was obvious I had failed.

Years after I hit puberty I would often wander through the Northern Reflections store at the Avalon Mall in search of clothes. I would always feel uncomfortable and out of place there as a kid. I attributed it to my lack of self confidence and self esteem.

It wasn't until I was in my Twenties that I realized that Northern Reflections is wholly a women's store!

I was kinda coming to that conclusion when my Mother and her Mother would always make a special trip to Northern Reflections whenever they hit the mall. They love that stuff. My Mom is not afraid of the vests either.