Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Attention Shoppers, Aeropostale has opened a new store in St. John's Newfoundland

Aeropostale. You start a clothing line that isn't available in every province and all of a sudden everyone has to have it. It was like that with American Eagle, until it came to town. It's still like it with Bath & Body Works.

If it's out of reach or exclusive people want it.

I'm not sure it's to be pretentious anymore.

I've gone to the West Edmonton Mall with a fucking shopping list to pick-up shit for friends of mine that want Bath & Body Works stuff. While I was there I decided to pick up some of the damn stuff - it just smells so good. And we all know nothing smells as good as something no one else has.

Aeropostale even has the allure of people not knowing how to pronounce it, I know I've heard four versions. The first by my Cousin Jeremy - he's a sucker for that shit. The fourth by my Cousin Lee. Tonight

I was at the 24 hour Sobeys late last night and the girl ahead of me with 2 items is rifling through her purse trying to find her debit card. Her ordeal was not helped by the phone stuck to her ear, which was held in place by her shrugged shoulder - enabling her to be unable to rummage efficiently. It's all about efficiency.

It was at that point that I wondered if I should go to the vacant cash just up 3 cashes. Only thing about that was . . . there was no one at it. I would probably have to summon someone to it. I have no problem doing the sort as I love to hear myself speak in public. If only for my witty banter.

Back to the girl. I'm serious when I say it was a minute before she found her good sense to put the phone down. Another 20 seconds after that to fetch the card. It was one of those moments when the woman at the cash is looking at the purse and tilts her hip, then looks at the girl, the purse, me, the girl, the purse, me, the girl, her co-workers, the girl again - I guess to see if the girl seen her look at her co-workers with a look of impatience and disdain.

There was a lot of time.

I had a lot of time on my hands during the search and I take a visual account of the scene. I notice that this young woman ahead of me was wearing a pair of Aeropostale Jogging pants as well as a shirt from said company which was peaking out from under a hoodie from the same place. Well surely this woman who must be a skeet - evidenced by her over abundance of brand name clothing (quite the same way women when they go out to a dance wear every fucking piece of jewelery she has, especially the rings which on one finger may count 4 or 5) - should be able to pronounce "Aeropostale" and she did. It was the third variant of pronunciation I have ever heard.