Sunday, February 13, 2011

Why do people feel the need to document their lives? I don't mean by way of pictures because that's perfectly normal. I guess I'm talking about what I do, I keep all my movie stubs, and each time I fold it or put it away in my pocket I think of the person that will look at it later in my life or after I've gone. I especially think of this when I store them away in my box of keepsakes, I would keep the stubs for the person I went with as well. I stopped doing this when I realized that most didn't really care when I'd present it to them later. I started again when I found out that my girlfriend at the time was doing it as well and we used to have a box ( in fact the box is probably still there, next to the light on the end table) in which we'd store some of the keepsakes from our years together. It reinforced the whole idea of keeping bits and pieces of your life and the time spent with others.

I keep them so I can always go back when I couldn't remember if I had seen a certain movie, it also helps to put a date to things. In particular when I thought of who would be checking out my keepsakes I would think of my children looking through these stubs and discussing the movies I had seen and make comments about how I loved the movies. At some point I'm gonna have to put all the stubs in one place and maybe at some point I'll stop hoarding things, however, you'll never see me on an episode of Hoarders

But essentially it's a way to document my life.